After setting up signing my Git commits with GPG, I realized I accidentally broke Magit!. Which is one of my favorite Emacs packages, and the best way to interact with Git. The break was caused by a seemingly common issue for Emacs users in OS X: the PATH variable as Emacs understood it was not the PATH that terminal used. Now that my Git config was telling Git to call out to the GNUPG binary to sign the commit, and it couldn’t find it. This is not exactly a new issue for me. When I started writing Ruby professionally, getting Emacs to play nicely with the right binaries in OS X, so I could use Rspec within a buffer was a challenge. A challenge that always seemed to be for another day, until I broke Magit!. Funny how killing your [Read more...]
You could say I have a fairly healthy interest for the systems admin side of tech. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I think I could get by as an entry to mid level admin. Though that certainly doesn't stop me from doing some colossally stupid things with my personal server(s). As of right now, I have two hosted VPSs, including the one that this blog runs on. This server is supposed to be my "production" server, so it's as locked down as I can make it, with only the necessary services running. Beyond that, the next cardinal rule of managing a production environment is testing software updates somewhere else before you run them on the production machine(s). Even though I'm fully aware of this rule, and of the possible ramifications of not [Read more...]
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a tweet that peaked my interest. https://twitter.com/statamic/status/273549456237002752 Statamic is a slick flat-file PHP CMS written by a couple of very smart friends: Jack McDade and Mubashar Iqbal (a.k.a. Mubs). I messed with Statamic a bit during the beta period, though not as much as I would have liked, as I was typically otherwise occupied. Even though I've only briefly used Statamic, I like to keep up with the goings on with their venture, and help out or provide support whenever I can. So when I saw the tweet about someone having an issue using Statamic on a Nginx setup, I thought from my escapades configuring Nginx, I might be able to help out. Pretty Straightforward Foolishly I though that I knew [Read more...]
Well after months of procrastinating, reading blog post after blog post along with much of nginx's configuration wiki, and general anxiety about screwing it up; RamiMassoud.com is officially switched over to my new linode! The new server is running a LEMP stack (Linux, EngineX/NginX, MySQL, PHP) built on Debian. I'm hopeful that all I have learned in the years since I setup the old server, will make this one far more streamlined and rock solid. If for no other reason than accountability's sake, I should mention that I will be (further) documenting my experiences soon. That way when I have to do this all again, I can just re-read my own posts!
Updated 5/22/2013: After some issues with this setup, I've updated the Dotdeb sources to not break after the release of Debian 7 As some may have seen on twitter, I have been toying with ditching the typical Apache in favor of nginx on my production web server. I chose to do this for four reasons: I've setup Apache more times than I can count, and nginx looks like the new cool kid on the block. I'm hoping that the raving fanboys are right, and the memory footprint is far better than Apache. Perfect for a cheap VPS. When I switched to W3 Total Cache for this blog, nginx seems to be the next logical step. Considering it excels with serving static HTML and gziped files, the combo was too good not to try out. It seems that I [Read more...]