I’ve decided that using my new(ish), shiny, unibody Macbook Pro as an overpowered and over priced Roku to watch Netflix is kind of a waste. It’s been a long while since I have done any significant development on an Apple, so why not see how things have changed? It’s not like I hate them or anything…
I was inspired by things like that sexy new Github client they released for OSX, which geeks everywhere seemed to be in a tizzy about. Not to mention see what the app store (I said it has been a while) and the new version of XCode have to offer me. Can’t forget the droves of people I follow on twitter and know from Build Guild that all seem to develop only in OSX.
Now that the mini geek-out is out of our of the way, let’s get back to the regularly schedule programming shall we? You know, me complaining about stuff.
As on any machine where I would consider to do any amount of coding, the first thing I did was to upgrade the version of emacs. Sure, I could just install Aquamacs or grab a pre-compiled binary, but what would be the fun in that?! I am a damn
idiot champion, if I am going to install emacs on my mac, it will be compiled by me thank-you-very-much. So I just sauntered over to the GNU page and grabbed the latest source.
Of course, being too used to developing on linux boxes, I went to do everything in the terminal. Big mistake,
wget http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/emacs-23.3a.tar.gz “command not found” d’oh! So I went off and used Chrome to download the tarball, untar’ed it, then ran
./configure d’oh again, GCC isnt installed.
No problem I guess, just have to download all 800MB of XCode, which was going to happen anyway. Okay, so open up the app store and log in with my Apple account, woo look it’s free again! Hit the install app button and…huh? Oh, so… it’s not compatible with Snow Leopard?! Luckily for me, and the structural integrity of my Macbook, I was just reading 2011 Rubyist’s guide to a Mac OS X development environment which led me to some hero who created pre-built binaries of GCC for OSX 10.6 and 10.7 (yes the humor of the situation has not escaped me).
Now that all of the nonsense was over and done with, back to the task at hand! Configure went through after a minor tweak to add the flag
--without-x and it was all sunshine and unicorns from there. Haha just kidding! Crap ton of random errors, that require some google-fu to remedy. With some hunting, stackoverflow ended up having the answer I so desired; apparently emacs hasn’t released a version that is compatible with the 64-bit mac architecture. Taking that into account, I guess I can’t get too mad at Apple here, so I just threw the suggested
CC='gcc -arch i386' into the
./configure along with the flags to exclude the various image supports. With that,
make install ran perfectly and I finally had emacs 23.3 up and running in the terminal. Time to go… uhh…